Ok, here's a list of some of the free stuff I've gotten since Thurs:
-A meal at school, including fancy sandwitches with cavier. I didn't eat those, but they were there!
-2 lighters, one from the SPO and one from the BZO
-A stuffed puppy keychain from the BZO
-Two packages of these crispy waffer things
-Manner (a waffer creme cookie viennese thing)
-Gummi candy
-PEZ-like candy
-A tea-party like meal, with little sandwitches and tea
-Coffee from Aida (a Viennese cafe)
-A lanyard
-A tote bag
-countless pamplets, magazines, posters, cards, and other paper items from various campain groups
-a mini-CD
It's been a good weekend for free things.
Anyway, here's some pics from last night and today.
Stephansdom at night. I've never noticed the tiny windows on the roof.
A BZO car.
The Vegans are back!! And they're showing a movie in english called the Meatrix.
An OVP stand. Their column of balloons was positioned exactly behind a fountain, so we almost missed it.
I love this store. They sell crytal stuff, and the chandeliers are so awesome. This is the big one.
The fountain outside the Opera at night. What's with the blue lights?
A glove shop. A whole store for gloves.
The little chandelier.
Roman ruins. They build up the building around the ruins of these roman houses, so you have to go into the basement of a sushi shop to find them.
The Anker clock. The people on this clock rotate around in a circle, so it's a different person for each hour. The people slowly move throughout the hour with the hour thing (see the roman numeral for one?) so, it's not something exciting on the hour. But it's a cool clock all the same.
The bottom of the Anker clock.
Me and Michelle with our free Aida coffee. We were so excited for this. And the woman even put sugar in ours, because we told here we were from America. "Of course Americans like it really sweet."
The people waiting on the street to watch the clock change.
More roman ruins.
Umm, we don't know why this pot was behind a sign. Really, what's up with this?

I love this pot. I love it!!
This picture is for Madeline and Katie. I almost died when I saw this!! If only the place next to it was named Le Petit Puce...that's the only other name I remember.
Medieval Frescos. They uncovered these in an old house. Once again, you can just get up right next to them. It's crazy to be so close to something so old, and in the actual house that they've always been in.
Look, I'm touching a roman wall! How cool is that?
More Roman stuff...
Me and Michelle think this is a gravestone, and the circle with the square hole has something to do with letting the square escape, but we're not sure....and once again we can't read german.
The Medieval frescos
More frescos



I'm a relic!
Outside of St. Ruperts's Church.
St. Ruperts. The oldest Church in Vienna. It caught the very end of the Romanesqe period. Alot of the Architecture in Vienna is like this, that it is either Neo-something or it caught the tail end of it. A lot of the buildings were built neo-something to kinda show what the rulers at the time were trying to relfect, a form of propaganda. So for example, the Opera building is Neo-Renissance, while the Rathaus is Neo-Gothic. But when you put it all together, the whole city is so beautiful.
Back to the frescos.
Umm...I didn't catch the name of this church, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's something to do with Mary. There were at least 3 shrines to her. But, this church was so pretty, and I didn't really get any pics of it, because they have modernized parts of it, so there are all these galleries with new paintings in them, and benches and a really beautiful modern look that you can go pray in, but they've worked really hard to make sure they're in harmony with the older parts. It works really well.
The doornob at St. Ruperts.
The Mary church.
Outside of St. Ruperts.
St.Rupert's again.

The gargoyles on the outside of the Mary church were awesome!! They were sheep.
Doesn't this look like the sheep from the Simpsons where Lisa becomes a vegetarian?
The last sheep.
The Mary Church.
Look, the clock moved! It's a new person.
I love the old twisty alleyways you come across every once in awhile.
I've started taking pics of all the stencil graffit I see. I don't know if it's a trend, or a person, or what, but it intrigues me that I'm starting to see this all over Vienna.
I love the eastern style buildings in Vienna.
Ok, this is a really, really horrible picture, but this guy in the U-Bahn station was dressed like a leprechaun. A really nice leprechan. It obviously wasn't a costume, but he had the green knee socks, and the long grayish-green coat with celtic motifs on it. It was awesome!
I love this building. It's so art deco.
It's a new KPO ad!!! And just in time for elections!!
Just a random street in the 1st district.
I love these signs. They're on pretty much every store downtown. And with good reason, the Viennese love ice cream in a way I've never seen. There are so many ice cream stores, and they're all always packed, and you cannot count the number of people you see walking down the street eating ice cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment