Thursday, October 05, 2006

Political finale

I know everybody has been anxiously awaiting the results of the elections here, so here they are, as I understand them.
The SPO surprised everyone and came out on top, with 37.something percent of the vote. The OVP, who everyone expected to win with votes in the 40s, only got 35%. The FPO got a fairly sizable amount of votes, and the Green party got 10%, and the BZO barely scraped by with 4.2%. The KPO got 1%, which means it doesn't get any seats in congress, since you have to have 4% to get seats. The BZO is holding it's breath that when all the absentee ballots are counted, they still have over 4%. Also, apparently I was wrong, I thought the BZO was more middle, but apparently they're very very right. My bad. But I was right about all the other parties and where they lie in the political spectrum. Anyway, back to what this surprise victory means for everyone.
So, since no one got over 50%, there needs to be a "collaboration" of two parties to make a 50% majority. Since everyone thought the OVP was going to win with 40%, lots of people didn't vote for the green party, because the green party with it's 10-15% range would be able to collaborate with the OVP then. So people were afraid that voting for the greens, althought a liberal group, would end up helping the OVP, a conservative group. Much like the Green party in America. So now that the SPO and OVP are so close together, the only possible collaboration would be for those two groups to combine. Craziness.
So there you go. Final results are expected to be counted by the 10th.
Also, a side note. I understand painting the Hitler moustaches on FPO posters, but why the Bin Laden references?

No comments: