Also, I just realized I did this entire post backwards. I upload pics to blogger in reverse order, and I forgot and just uploaded them chronologically. Oops.
I've discovered my camera is not very good at picking up things way in the background, which means it doesn't like to pick up the mountains that just go on and on and on. It's very sad. But if you look close you can kinda see them. Oh, this is a fountain or something...as you'll soon notice I have a very one-track mind, and I was in Innsbruck for mountains.
Ok, first off, this pic reminds me of a scene out of LOTR, but I can't think of which one, so someone please let me know if you think of it. Second, speaking of LOTR, on the ride to Innsbruck there was a church on top of a hill, out in the middle of nowhere, with mountains behind it, and it looked just like the scene from the 3rd movie with areial shot of the girl in front of the building on a hill...does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Innsbruck is in a little valley cut with a tiny little river running through it, but the river twists and bends so much that it really is surrounded by mountains on all sides. It's awesome!
These next couple of pics are all of the mountains as seen from various places around town. I don't really know what else to say about them except that.




This freaked me out so bad when I first looked at it! "See you die Bar?" Then I remembered where I was and what they spoke. But it was a scary couple of moments. And here's an appropriate Simpson's quote for the whole scenario.
Laywer: Well, what about that tatoo on your chest? Doesn't it say "Die, Bart, Die"?
Sideshow Bob: No, that's German for 'The Bart, The."
I love this picture. It's so homey, with the signs and my favorite grocery store, but it has the mountains in the background. It actually doesn't even remind me of Innsbruck, it reminds me of a weird mixture of Aspach (The town Fabi lived in) and Colorado.
On of the few pictures I took with no mountains at all in it.
Who doens't like light breaking through clouds?
The golden roof. What Innsbruck is famous for if you don't care about mountains. And can I just say it's astonishing how many people come here for the town. I mean, it's cute, it's medieval, it was the capital of Tirol blah blah blah- there are mountains!!!
This picture is foggy because it was taken out of the bus window at a stop.
I'm so jealous of the people who own that house.

Ali, Melinda, the street, and mountains.

This is, without getting out of my seat or anything, the view from the restaurant. All the construction going on is because they're building a new, really fancy looking cable car up the mountain. All the way up. Waaaaaay up. It looks like it'll be pretty snazzy once it's done.


Golden roof. Built by Maximillian I, who made Innsbruck the capital of Tirol (this area of Austria is Tirol). And addressed people from his balcony, which he put a golden roof onto. This might be more interesting if this famous golden roof were not blocking the view of the mountains behind it.
Medieval old town center.
Do I have this picture twice?
Once again, the view from my seat.
Some old gate downtown. I really tried to read the Rick Steves book on Innsbruck, but I just couldn't bring myself to care. In my defense, he kinda says that Innsbruck is lame and not really worth the trip, and he skips over all the mountains, trails, ski places and such in the area. Kinda shoddy work, normally I really love Rick Steve's book.
Pretty buildings, and a really long fountain.
I actually meant to take a picture of this entire thing, but I got distracted staring at the mountains. Are you getting sick of that word yet? Umm, this has something to do with St. Ann, and is kinda like a plague monument, it was built to celebrate something...like I said, I tried to read up on Innsbruck, and kept getting sidetracked looking up info on the Alps instead.
Hey! Another picture with no mountains in it. That's two in a row!
Ok, this is a special picture because it was taken on the train. I don't like to take pictures on the train. First off, they're really hard to take because you have to time it so that there's no trees in the way. It's easy enough for you to see the landscape through the breaks in the trees because the train goes so fast. But trying to take a picture through the breaks is like trying to take a picture of lightning. Second, the windows tint the picture and often times leave a glare. And finally, I just like to be able to sit back and enjoy the ride, without worrying about taking a picture of everything. But, I gave in a took this picture at the last stop before Innsbruck, which is about 15-20 mins away.
Again, from the train, same general area.
This is actually from my venice trip. I just wanted to show what a train compartment looks like. This is on the nicer train line. If you're lucky and no one sits across from you, you can do what I did and tilt the seats together. It makes a really comfy bed.

I couldn't get a shot of the whole compartment because it's too small to be able to step back. But there are 6 seats, 3 on each side, and overhead storage, and glass sliding doors with curtains. The doors are right next to the seats, and the seat are all in a row, as you can kinda see, so when 6 people are all sitting in there, with luggage, it does get kind of crowded.

No comments:
Post a Comment