Monday, October 23, 2006

Budapest Pictures

The sunrise over Hungary.
The outside of the train station.
A statue of George Washington. Serious.
Walking down the street in Budapest (Pest)
The castle!
Michelle by the moat.
Pretty buildings on the street.
Details on the castle.





A bust of the guy who plays Dracula...who's name escapes me now...
I like the way the shadow went with the windows.
A statue in the City Park.
Castle from the front.
Church in the city park.



This is great: The castle, the moat, and what's going on behind it, bulldozers and construction in a huge concrete field. And did you catch the banner on the castle tower?
Heroes' Square! I love this square, so I took way more pictures than probably necessary.


Look at all the empty room...doesn't it make you want to roller skate?




Ok, we're out of Heroes' Square. This is a pretty building from our stroll down Andrassy Avenue. Also, can I say now that half of what I spell in any foreign language is wrong because there are accents and umlats and all sorts of things missing. Like Andrassy should have an accent over the second a.
Hey! We're back at Heroes' Square! Yay!

I took a lot of bad pics (see below) of just the street or random buildings. What can I say, I really loved the city. I just wanted to take a picture of everything, because I loved everything.
House of Terror
The Strassenbahns here (I think they were called HEV) were ugly and old and crowded. But you didn't have to wait as long.
A My Little Pony store!
Another beautiful train station.
More random buildings. Plus, I have a lot of pictures like this that I didn't post.
Theatre
Parliment as seen from the bridge.
Parliment from the street in front of the bridge
Crossing the bridge.
This kinda goes for everywhere, not jusst Budapest, but trees here are old and huge.
Margaret Island
Looking towards Buda and Buda Palace on the bridge.
Margaret Island
This fountain played in time to music! I took video too, which is a lot more entertaining to watch.


There were cats roaming Budapest, which was weird because you never, ever see cats in Vienna. Dogs- yes, everywhere. Cats- never.

This was kinda funny. We needed to ride the Strassenbahn, so we tried to buy a single ticket, but the lady did not speak enough english to understand what we wanted. So then we tried to use a machine, but we didn't have enough coins, and it wouldn't take bills. So we tore a scrap of paper, went through the machine in English and found "single ticket", then went through in Hungarian and found the same thing, wrote down the name of it on the paper, and gave the paper to the women at the ticket window. And that's how we bought our tickets we didn't even need because they use the honor system here. Grr.


BEST BACKLAVA EVER. EVER. EVER. Mine was chocolate. And less than 50 cents. And I would have gladly paid $10 for it. Or more. It was that good.
Some of the stores were a little weird. We didn't go in them.
At the house of Terror. This room was about religous persecution. They were playing chants, and the walls had religious items confinscated from people on them. And I don't know how well you can see, but the cross is made by tearing up the floorboards.
House of Terror from the outside
This wall was 3 stories high and went all the way up with the mug shots of people imprisioned during the communist reign.
I think this is the first time I've ever seen murdered used in relation to something like this in a museum setting. Killed- yes. But it really caught my attention. Murdered by the government.
A memorial to those who died. This whole room was filled with wooden sticks made into crosses or stars with lights in the center.
A map of the area of commuinst rule. Those triangles mark labor camps, and inside them are the personal belongings of a person who was sent to the camp. The walls are made to look like the inside of a train, and the video on the walls is of the countryside passing by as if you are on a train.
Communist statues, which fill the stairways.
Mullets!! and Bubble Skirts, and hot pink skinny jeans tucked into boots. Some European style is really awesome, but some things I'm not all that fond of. I took this for Michelle to add to her ever-growing mullet collection.


This is the first Apple store I've seen in Europe.
Opera house
Parliment. I'm not sure if the flags are always there, or if they're part of the political drama going on a couple weeks back, or if they're a decoration for Hungary's National holiday on Oct. 23.

Me in front of the chain bridge.

There were a ton of Art Deco buildings in Budapest, which was awesome.
Buda Palace
Chain Bridge


Statue of Liberty, way up on the hillside. It looks farther away then it was, because my camera doesn't have that great of a zoom.
Me on the bridge
View from the steps of the Bascillica
Bascillica
Churches are awesome because they are free and usually beautiful. However, it sucks that they're also usually huge and dark, which makes it hard to take pictures of what it actually looks like in it. But I try.




There's a hand in there! A hand!! Ok, so they have a chapel in the back, that was technically closed, but the guard let us in because it had just closed, and in this chapel there is this box, (which has lights in it that they shut off, but you could see better) which houses the hand of St. Stephan. Seriously! It has a bracelet on it, and it's old and brown and kinda shriveld. But it's a hand.



A synagouge.


Isn't Budapest pretty?


It's a giant playmobile!
The buses here all had these stick things on them, which could strech and swivel but were always connected to the wires overhead. It was like they were on leashes. It was really weird.


No comments: