Sunday, November 05, 2006

Christmas in Europe

Umm, the Rathaus is a giant Advent Calendar.





That's all.
No really, today I was feeling a bit better, so I went and tried, for the third time, to see Carmen. Ok, note to the Wien Statsoper. Print the times on your schedule. For real. How am I supposed to just magically know that the matinee last week was at 4pm, but this week it's at 1? How?? Especially when your schedule says 19:00, which is weird anyway because the operas usually start at 7:30. You have to be a mind reader to go to the opera on a Sunday!! Anyway, back to the Rathaus.
So, mad at the Oper, and not wanting to take the 30 min U-Bahn ride home just yet, I decided to go check on the Christmas market and see how the setting up was going. I was happy to see all the booths are up and just waiting to be filled, and the decorations in the park were great, but then I looked up at the Rathaus. Giant. Advent. Calendar. IT'S AMAZING!!!
I'm sooo excited for this christmas market!! Christmas candy has been in the stores for awhile. In fact, I bought a cheap 59 cent Advent Calendar myself a week or so ago, promptly re-named it a Thanksgiving calendar, and have been enjoying a tasty little chocolate every morning. In my defense, I won't be here for the end of Advent, so why wait? Anyway, their Christmas candy is crazy. I mean, the Santa Claus' I recognize. But what's with the Devils? And there are also what I can only assume are hairy Apes made of chocolate too, which I looked at and immediately thought of Eugene O'Neil (I blame Larry and his design papers for this). It's weird. And I've only seen candy canes in one place, but they have these tiny umbrellas made of candy...
The best discovery I've made so far while browsing the candy aisle had to be Vanillekipferl. Vanillekipferl AKA my favorite Christmas cookie of all time. I recognized it as soon as I saw it. It's the cookie that the Jacquins always made when they would give us Chrismas cookies. I would pass up all the others and eat those first. But I've never seen it pre-packaged before. I just thought it was some family recipe of theirs. And now I know. They make them in Austria. I was so excited to find these!!


Best Chrismas cookies EVER!! I was afraid they might not be as good, since I'm used to the homemade one, but nope, even the prepackaged ones are yummy.

My advent Calendar. It's cute. And I haven't found a place to hang it yet.


Ok, so this has nothing to do with Christmas, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That tiny paragraph I'm pointing to? That's the only mention of the World Series I was able to find in the Austrian news. And I'm lucky I found it, since it was in the Osterreich, and normally I read the Heute. I read the Vienna newpapers on the U-Bahn on the way to school. They're free, why not? And I use the term read very loosely here.

No comments: