It was so awesome!!
We took him to all our favorite (free) places, and some new (free) places.
I didn't realize how much I missed everyone untill I saw Nick at the bus stop. I love the people here, but it was so great to see someone that I've known for awhile. And then on Fri we looked up the number to the booth at school and called the other lighting designers to wish them luck on their Tech Day. I guess we both are starting to miss people. (I say other lighting designers because Nick is an honorary LD. He's a directing major, but he decided he wanted to learn about lighting a couple years back, and now besides working as an electrician for both the Rep and Opera he's one of the first people to call if you ever need help during a show.)
We did finally get into the library, and it really does look like the library from Beauty and the Beast. However, we decided to just try walking in without a ticket and see what they would do. Apparently they would make you turn around and leave. But we got to see the place, so totally worth it. I just didn't have time to take any pictures.
So, for the most part I guess I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
I do want to say that we also went to the crypts under Stephansdom, and although Nick was skeptical at first, he ended up loving it. I know the crypts sound so creepy, and they kinda are, but it's also just so incredible to see. It just puts you back in time more so than any old building can do. And they told us the reason we can't take pictures is to respect the dead buried there. That might be understandable if we weren't already paying to go gawk at them, not to mention all the hyping they do that it's a "creepy experience". Respect. Yah.
So, here are the pictures, kinda in a sembelance of an order.
At MAK (Museum for applied arts). A model of a building in the architecture section.
Nick in MAK
Waiting for the U-Bahn at Kagraner Platz.
Climbing trees at the Rathaus Park
In front of the Third Man building
I really loved the MAK. For instance, this display is just a bunch of doodles an architect did. I mean, its even on a hotel room paper pad. And while I might be mad to see this at an Art museum or something, this is kinda cool. I mean, from a designers point of view, it's really interesting to see how other people get their inspiration, or how their ideas evolve.
More sketches
So here is the sketch...
and here is the model that is turned out as. Crazy!
We couldn't figure out which of these were just models, and which had actually gotten built. We don't think this got built, but if I'm wrong let me know because it looks awesome!
This is the huge open area in the center of the building, which art students come to and sit around and draw. It's really cool. They even have couches all over to sit on.
This was the only part of the furniture display I really liked. The idea to sillouette the chairs was a great one. And I'm sorry if you like furniture displays in museums, but I just find them annoying. Why would you want to look at a chair if you can't sit in it?
The best pic I could get of these windows.
Resting on one of the said couches.
Sitting in a display.
Nick doesn't wear shoes. He wears sandels. And you would not believe how big of a deal people in Vienna made about it. People would walk up to him, point, laugh, say something in German, and then walk away. Nick would actually yell at them "I'm right here!" Plus, everyone on the U-Bahn would stare, and he almost didn't get let into the Opera. I was a little shocked. I don't even notice that he doesn't wear shoes. Anyway, you had to take off your shoes to go into this display, and you would not believe how many people that kept away. But not Nick. Take that Vienna!

I LOVED this piece of artwork. Not to mention it's one of the few places in a Vienna Musuem where the lighting is actually good (obviously).
Look, truss!! We went on the opera tour, and you get to watch them do a change-over. I barely heard what was said because me and Nick were too busy staring and pointing things out. We tried to ask questions, but after not knowing what a grid was and not understanding Nick's question about if there's a rep plot, all our hope of knowing DMX capabilities, or what type of board they use, or even just how many dimmers there are died.
There are 45 operas in a season, and they never play the same one 2 nights in a row. Or even just skipping one day for that matter. They have semi bring in the correct set each day. If an opera has four sets they can put one in the wings, one behind the set on stage, and one 10 meters under the stage on a hydrolic platform. They can usually change the scene during the show in 5 mins. No word on how long changeover from one show to another takes.
Back to the MAK. This was a display. You could write on a post-it note yourself if you wanted, so we all did. Michelle drew a picture of herself and Nick quoted Kurt Vonnegut. It was actually really cool to see what other people wrote.
I managed to look away from the stage long enough to take this picture, but I wasn't really aiming. Still, waaay up top? That's where I usually stand. And Nick made a good point after seeing the Opera (Otello) that night that Opera singers really put everyone else to shame, because there are NO mics, and you can hear every word, from the very last row even, perfectly and clearly. Even when they're not singing.
The grid is 22 meters in case you're wondering.
The pit is on hydrolics too.
We accidentally walked in to a anti-fur protest in Stephansplatz. It was crazy.
Playing in a fountain.
In the fountain
What's really funny about this picture is the little kid in the background who was also playing in the fountain, and was really amused by us. There was also a tour group that walked by and gave us a funny look.
Marking our spots at the opera.
Someone else in Vienna feels the same way as Nick!
I love this picture!
Waiting in line for Opera tickets. We were first in line for the cut-off between standing indoors and out, but then after about 15 mins they scrunched up the line a bit and we got to move indoors.
At the clock museum!! Well, it was free, open on a Sunday, and we all thought it sounded really funny to go. So we did.
It's hard to contain your excitment at the clock museum.
Can I just say, the clock museum has the best lighting I've seen in a Viennese museum so far. WHY?
Nick saw this and made some reference to my family, which I thought was weird untill I realized it has dwarves on it. I laughed.
Me and Klimt!!
The view from the Wien Museum Karlsplatz. It was rainy all Sun morning so we decided to go to more musuems.
I love the title block-like signatures.
Another Klimt. It looks much better in person, bad lighting and all, but still...
At the prater!! Even though it was closed down, we still wandered around. If nothing else, deserted amusment parks are really creepy. It was fun.
Giants.
I loved this picture.
Now we're going back in time to the tree climbing. I took this picture when I had to climb down and get my purse. That tree is tall!!
Hugo-Uno and Hugo-Two together again!
Riding the Strassenbahn. So this is what the inside of a Strassenbahn looks like, and that's (obviously) Nick...

Michelle in the Strassenbahn.
No comments:
Post a Comment