Apparently elections are coming up on Oct. 1. I knew they were sometime soon, there are signs for the elections everywhere!!! The politics going on here are really interesting though. Apparently there are 4 majority parties, not 2 like in America, the most right wing of which is so right, it's borderline radical to radical, depending on who it is. Apparently they got around 20 percent of the votes last election, and their platform this time is to not only stop immigration, but to get rid of 30 percent of the imigrants already living here. Apparently even the word for "foreigner" has a negative connotation, and is considered an insult. It's crazy here, I had no clue that they disliked all these Eastern European people so much.
On a happier note, today was wonderful!! It was warm!!! In the 80s!! So I went to my trusty list of parks, and searched down the "Vienna Shakespeare Park", which is a garden inside the larger "Kagran School Garden". It was not what I expected, but it ended up being one of my favorite places in Vienna so far.
I'm going to apologize for my pictures, which need to be color corrected, but since I leave for Prague I wanted to get these pictures up, soI didn't have time to fix the ones that are too washed out.
The Japaneese Garden

The Japanesse Garden's Porch-like thing...

The S-Bahn, not to be confused with the Strassenbahn, the U-Bahn, the regular train, or the Eurail. I had no idea I would be riding so many trains here, Drew should come visit.

People break-dancing in front of Stephansdom. I thought this was really funny.

Random cemetary in the middle of the garden.

The "American" Garden

Part of the "Australia" Garden

It's a watercan mobile!



This tells you what direction and how far away different cities are.

The "Shakespeare" Garden. It was described as showing the quotes from Shakespeare and then the corresponding plants, but it ended up just being this tree with the quotes on it (you could flip them over and it was written in German), and then a pretty, but small English garden with some of the talked about plants in it. So, not that exciting.


These bushes are everywhere, and apparently they're called Burning Bushes.

The Shakespeare Garden. Notice the lawn chairs? They not only let you walk on the lawn, they encouraged it, and they had free lawn chairs everywhere for you to grab and take where ever you wanted and sit down.

An old train, they had signs up with pictures, and I got the impression they were trying to tell me what the trains were used for, but it was all in german. Actually they had signs everywhere telling all about everything, and it looked really interesting, but everything's in german.

I don't know what garden this was, but it was pretty. The picture is really washed out.




I thought these flowers were so funny, because from far away they look like the flowers in Dr. Suess books.

Cacti!! The "African" Garden. There were greenhouses that you could go into also, but I decided not to.

Apples!! They had an apple orchard!! It was exciting, and it looked really yummy!

A flower owl.

Ginko trees!! They had a whole Ginko garden.

There were signs everywhere that said all kinds of things about Ginkos, but again, all in German.

The Ginko Garden

Even the landscaping is shaped like ginkos


I don't know why these birds were here, but I loved them.




No comments:
Post a Comment