Wednesday, September 13, 2006

more politics!

It's nice to come back to Vienna and feel at home.
Walked around the city a bit today. It was really nice out.
I took some pictures of the political signs up.
I don't know why exactly, but politics here fascinate me. At home they just depress me.
Anyway, my pics:


A tractor, right outside my room.
This is carved into the side of Stephansdom, it's O5, which is the symbol of the Austrian resistance group during WWII. The Germans spelled Austria "Oesterreich", so the O5 is for "O" and the 5 is for "E" being the 5th letter. The name Oesterreich was outlawed by the Nazis, and it was reffered to as Ostmark. Thousands of Austrians were tried, imprisoned, murdered, or sent to death camps for resistence movement.
Ok, the political parties. This party is the Social Democratic Party. It's basically center-left on the political spectrum. I really had nothing to say about them, I've had a hard time finding anything about them.

The FPO. I had to take these pictures downtown, because the signs by where I live are covered in graffti, including swastikas.
The main points of the FPO:
  • No accession of Turkey into the European Union.
  • No intrusion of EU policy in Austria.
  • No increase in the Austrian contribution to the EU.
  • Restrict Austrian citizenship law.
  • Stop the misuse of the asylum system.
Their leader is notorious for sounding like a Nazi. For example, he once said something was "final solution to the farm question.", and that's one of his most mild quotes. To read more about his, and the party's, history, go here: http://www.adl.org/backgrounders/joerg_haider.asp

The BZO, The Alliance for Austrians' Future. They're new, I think, I don't know much about them, and this was the only poster I saw for them.

OVP, The Austrian's People Party. They're kinda middle right. They have majority right now, I think. I'm not 100% sure on anything because it's so hard to find info on these parties that I can read.
The best for last. The KPO. The Communist Party of Austria. I really thought I wasn't going to be able to get a picture of these signs, but I finally found some.
The Scissors must be closed!! This sign makes me happy. I think, from what I could translate, that it says something like, Balance the power and not just to the rich, it is unnaceptable that 10% of the people living in Austria do not have all the rights, KPO demands the same social and political rights for everyone who lives here, and other fun stuff.

No comments: