This has been the hardest post for me to write, so I've been putting it off.
Leaving Vienna again was hard. Leaving Vienna and Caitlin was even harder. I saw less than I was expecting to in Vienna because as soon as I got back it felt like I had never left. I wasn't there to try and re-create everything I did last time I was there. What I remember loving so much about Vienna is their way of life. I loved sitting in coffee shops for hours, wandering around with my ipod, the relaxed way no one cared, even the fact that everything shut down early was kinda relaxing sometimes, it meant I'd be home chilling early most nights. So it was only fitting that my time back was just hours with my two best friends eating tons of delicious food and drinking tons of coffee and not really doing much of anything but soaking in the city. It was perfect. That's why I love the city. It's not a place that's conductive to running around and trying to see a lot of things. It's very relaxing and full of
Gemuetlichkeit, to which the translation is not just happiness but more of a cozy contentedness.
Anyway, we started off our day by sleeping in a tiny tiny bit. Then after sitting around asking each other what to do we all realized we were starving and needed food now. So we went to the Chineese place next door, which I used to love not only for it's good food but also because it stayed open late. After a long lunch we were off.

Nick accidentally sat far away from us on the Strassenbahn so we just went with it.




This is for Michelle! If you remember back she gave me those wax lips when we were in Vienna, and I've been carrying them around ever since. That's her fave Aida, which was far too crowded for us to handle. We went to a different Aida.

You can't see it very well, but the Christmas decorations and this whole street in general were beautiful.

We finally figured out that was an angel on the building.

Star tunnel! We saw this from afar and set out to find it. And actually did!










Oh no. Saying goodbye to Caitlin at the U-Bahn station. So sad.

Nick and I were way early to our bus to the airport, so we sat in the slightly warmer U-Bahn station. Those U-Bahns came every 2 mins like clockwork. And since they were staggered, one from each direction, it was actually every 1 min. It was really annoying when we were trying to talk, but I waited 40 mins for the train to work yesterday and it made me really miss the U-Bahn. Well, I miss it most days. I hate the New York Subway.

Emotion made the Pineapple Aloe water I used to love, which I couldn't find, so I bought this Ruhbarb Mint water as kind of a joke because it sounded so disgusting, and it was sooo good. I had to go back and buy more.

Ummm, I got really bored at the airport and started comparing the new pounds/pence to the old ones. The new designs are so awesome! I really love them. Also, Caitlin gave me the 4 pounds she had leftover from her trip with the instructions to use them to buy something impractical. Done and done.




Our sad airport picnic, consisting of things we brought from Vienna and airport snacks bought with the last of our Euros (which thankfully they take in the Bratislava Airport).

These were Caitlin's taffys, which Nick fell in love with and ate all weekend, so she snuck the remainder of the bag into his backpack. It was really sweet.


I don't know what these say, but the 2 pounds say "Standing on the shoulders of giants".

I've moved on to signs. I was really bored!


This mobile was in the kids' play area.



The exit signs in Europe all look like this, and they used to actually make me feel paniky. It's like they are saying "Run-don't walk!! Go now! NOW! Faster!"


Back to London!! Actually, Nick and I were not excited at all to go back. We'd had a nice trip and we were tired and ready to just go home. But we did have a great last day in London, and felt a lot better after we had slept and weren't traveling (especially in horrible sketchy buses and cheap airlines) and it was nice that we didn't have one huge day of travel but instead broke it up. And I'm starting to think Drew is onto something with his love of trains. The more time I spend dealing with planes and airports the more I dislike them. It was such a relief when I went to CT with Kelly and could just walk into Grand Central and buy a train ticket for a train that left in 10 mins. And you get to watch the scenery, and you can walk around, and no take-off or landing...I love trains.
No comments:
Post a Comment