Sunday, December 14, 2008

Vienna Day 5- I heart Christmas Market!!!

Thursday was the one day Caitlin had a class, and actually she wasn't supposed to but the class was behind...whatever. Anyway, she left us with a spare key and the instructions to meet her at Aida at 3 (Helpfully she kept repeating to me "Dreida....get it?"). So, me and Nick, with the whole morning in front of us slept in. Really late. Eh, it's a vacation. It was pretty great. After sleeping in I dragged Nick along to help me buy breakfast and came back with this great haul:

All my favorites!!! Gouda cheese, nutella, liptaur, peprika wheels, cough drops, and some cereal and juice for Nick, who apparently wanted a real breakfast.

I don't know if words can describe how much I've missed Liptaur. Why do they not make this in America?!

So after our late start, long showers, and leisurely breakfast, we actually didn't have time to do anything else other than go meet Caitlin. But we did take the senic route there. Look, the Albertina!!



Nick and more lamp posts.

I love this sign. Mostly I just love signs.

Even our nail polish goes together.

The best part of this picture is that it makes it look like we made Nick sit very far away and behind a barrier.

More lamp posts.

Anker!! Anker was my favorite samwich shop when I lived here. What I really loved is that it reminded me of the food I ate when I stayed with Fabi in Germany, which you would think that German and Austrian food wouldn't be so different, but this was the only place that seemed similar to me. They even put samwiches on pretzels!! Or, as they say, Betzels. Anyway, Caitlin had never been, so we grabbed a bite to eat there. It was also close by to both Aida and the opera, which was where we were headed that night.

We had some time to kill, so we stopped by the Christmas Market at Karlsplatz, which is a really great Market because all the stands are homemade crafts by different people. These hats were my favorite.


They emptied the fountain and filled it with straw and ponies for the children.


Caitlin and more ponies.

Nick was our official purse holder.


Me and Caitlin are upset because we wanted yellow mugs. Stupid language barrier.


We didn't know what these things were, but they were funny.






We finally got our yellow mugs! And Nick got an empty blue one. Well, he wanted a blue mug, but not more hot cocoa, so they switched him mugs.


This stand was really pretty.


I don't know what the deal was with these lights, but of course we took pictures under them.



I found this really funny. Out of paper towels? No problem. And you even had to pay for this bathroom!


Waiting for the opera to start. Actually for the ballet. We saw Giselle, which I had seen before, but turns out that every show during the days we were there I had seen, so we picked this one because it was quite lovely, ballets are shorter, and they're also less crowded so you don't have to get there very early.

The new curtain (They change it every year.)
Align Center
Fake watching the show. For standing room you have to get there really early, so we had a lot of time to kill.



Nick was really into the show.



After the show, attempting to take pretty pictures.






Caitlin's feelings on being asked to leave. They do not want people hanging around after the show, because we even left before curtain call was finished (ballets and operas have insanely long curtain calls. We left after the 3rd time the main dancers came back out).

Re-enacting when she didn't recognize the Rathaus.

One last time: best building ever.

Not as great building.


Align CenterThe crazy-techno-aloha-sasquash Christmas market. We didn't stay there long. It's the MQ Christmas market (Museums Quartier) and while it's weird and kinda funny in theory, it's way too crowded with Austrian Hipsters and not worth staying.

Ceiling of the tunnel into the MQ.


I heart festival?

Caitlin and Nick got pizza, I did not, and I thought this was hilarious. They called it something funny too, like "Homestyle Pizza" Just your typical corn, ham, and peppercini pizza.

I just can't get over how great all the tacky decorations are. On every street. These were just on some random street.


I don't know how these got mixed in, because we did not go to this Christmas market that night. But I'm not going back and re-doing these pictures. That would take forever.


I understand that Sissy is a person (kinda like the Princess Di of turn of the century Austria) but that doesn't make Sissy Punch any less funny.



No comments: