Thursday, March 26, 2009

The R Train is my BFF

I'm mildly afraid of tunnels, which I blame a little on those tunnels when I was little and sitting backwards in a car and my sisters wouldn't warn me (yah, that's right I just blamed you two! Deal.), and a little on that seconds from disaster that I watched on The Chunnel, and all the numerous ways you could die at any second any day (DO NOT WATCH THAT SHOW. Especially if you live in New York. They love to talk about each and every weird way something could go wrong in New York. ). So sometimes when its super crowded at rush hours and kinda claustrophobic, or when there's water dripping in the car, or when Kelly whispers into my ear "We're under water right now..." I start to freak out a little. I'm usually ok if I'm with other people. And seriously, who doesn't get a little antsy when the car stops in a tunnel for 20 mins and they dim the lights and you're just sitting there with no way of even knowing what's going on? So, through much trial and error, I have found the songs that for some unknown reason seem to calm me down. No clue why, but here is my panic-reducing-while-stuck-in-a-subway-playlist:

Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
Furr by Blitzen Trapper (thanks to Matt for that one)
For No One by The Beatles
You Like Me Too Much by The Beatles
Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan
The Times Are A-Changin' by Tracey Chapman (thanks again Matt)
Martyr For My Love For You by The White Stripes
Lucky by Jason Mraz
Let Me Go by Cake
Tears Dry On Their Own by Amy Winehouse
Carol Brown by Flight of the Conchords

And if you've never been on a New York subway, this video is pretty acurate. Including the fact that I have seen people both sing and dance on the subway (today some kids were even trying to choreograph a dance that involved taking off their shoes and bouncing them to each other. On the subway. It seemed like a not-well-thought-out plan.).




We use metro cards instead of tokens now, but I appreciate them teaching me the difference between express and local. I could have used this video a few months ago.

No comments: