Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Met in under an hour

So, to go back in time a bit, I went to the Met.
I've been kinda avoiding this particular museum.
First off, I know it's one of those imposible to see everything types of museums. It's huge. I know that. But is also costs money (a suggested donation, which is actually really nice, but they make you feel really awful for paying less than the suggestion.) which means you have to really feel like going to a museum to get your money's worth.
Second, I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I kinda thought it wasn't really my type of art. I knew I would love the Greek wing, and I know that I would be intrested in the others, certain paintings catching my eye more than others, but it's hard for me to work up the enthusiasm for more classical art periods.
I was very wrong on many counts.
Ok, it is huge. But, it has art from every time period. Impressionism! Modern! Ancient!
Also, it has the worst museum map I have ever seen.
But what really just stopped me in my tracks was while racing thru the wings, asking many workers how to get to the roof exhibit, I happened to walk thru this wing:



You know, I've been to a lot of museums. African, Mid-Eastern, Asian, none of these would have surprised me. But I was not expecting to walk into this room and see these huge totem-pole things, and whatever that canopy is, and all this huge, goregous Native American art. I don't know if pictures do justice to how impressive and unexpected it was.

So after that I was pretty sold on the museum. And I knew of a few other things that I wanted to see in the little amount of time left before closing.

I also want to point out that the museum itself it really pretty, and I just love all the sunlight.

First: The Egyptian wing. I want to see that Nubian Temple Ruin!!


It was cool, but I was really disapointed you can't walk through it.








Mummy!


Creepiest/coolest mummy I've ever seen.

Fact: I love Greek art.




I could have stayed here sketching for hours. What a nice wing. I especially liked the fountain clearly there just for that running water sound.

Met, I owe you an apology. It was a wonderful museum.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Fabulous! I feel like I was there... quickly.