Best Month Ever!!
Seriously, I love August.
New York in the summer is different. First, it's hot. I love that. People who live here like to complain about the heat. Yes, it is hot. Yes, it is uncomfortable. But, I'm able to live without AC. I would not even dream of that in Missouri. And my summers in NYC have been a little weird. Last summer was one of the coolest on record, and this summer is one of the hottest.
Anyway I'm getting off track. Reasons I love NYC in the summer:
Even if people have ACs, they are outside as much as possible. When I go to a gathering at a friend's house, everyone ends up sitting and talking on the stairs, or roof, or fire escape. When I go to a restaurant or a bar, the outdoor seating is packed while the indoor seating is deserted. The sidewalks are crowded with tables and kids playing and families sitting outside trying to catch a breeze. Nick and I are fans of taking walks together at night, and it's amazing how many people are still out even late on weekdays.
This is the boys playing football on 10th Ave after we finished dumping a truck.
I guess I just love how much people do in the summer. Sometimes this city feels so confining, like living in a giant cage. In the winter I feel like I'm trapped by the cold, always in subway cars and tiny apartments. In the summer everyone travels around and goes places. Even sitting at home, the breezes and fans make even the smallest apartments seem not so confining.

I love the storms that sweep through.

I love how when it's too hot to cook Nick and I live off sushi and fresh fruit, both from the cheap organic place down the street.


I love the sun tea I make and drink by the picher-full everyday. I love the big shady trees in my neighborhood, and the way it almost doesn't even look like NYC.
There is so much about NY that I'm still not crazy about. Nick likes to tell me that my days here are numbered. This city is notorious for people not just loving it, but being head over heels crazy about it. So of course the thing I find to love about it is the thing most people living here hate.
No matter. I still love summer.




No comments:
Post a Comment