Wednesday, April 29, 2009

weird and twisty lines

So, I went to the new Met exhibit.
Actually, what happened was I've known that this exhibit was going to open for weeks, and I've been really excited about it, and about 3 hours before the Met was supposed to close on the day this exhibit opened I realized it would make the most sense for me to go that afternoon. So I raced to the Met. More on that later.
Oh man, it was SO GREAT!!! It's called Maelstorm by Roxy Paine, and the reason I was so excited when I heard about it was because he has a similar piece in St. Louis, the silver tree outside of the Art Museum.
I know I tend to love art and museums more than most people, but this was seriously such a cool experience. It's on top of the roof, in the middle of Central Park, so it's already off to a great start. You can touch it, and climb on it, and you have to walk thru it (which actually reminded me of all the dumb art students in my 3-D Design class who would always argue that all sculptures should be giant).
I don't know if pictures can do it justice, but I took nearly 100 anyway. I seriously edited down which ones I'm posting, which still might seem like a lot but I don't care. This was one of the best moments I've had since moving to New York. The only reason I tore myself away was by promising to come back (I already have tentative plans to come back in June with Nick!).











It always looks like people are trapped in it.





Neato shadows!

My feet. I wore matching shoes.








In NY! Great View! Etc.




I like it when it looks like a giant alien attacking the city.



If you are anyone you know is going to New York between now and October, I seriously recomend this.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

It looks like a dentrite...