Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New City

So I said goodbye to New York and I'm in San Francisco now.
This is still pretty strange and sudden for me. I cried a lot when I was leaving, but I don't miss NYC as much as I thought I would. This is surprising only to me.
I miss friends. I miss certain places. I miss that feeling of home that I finally had built up.
I'm still not sure what to make of San Francisco. I think I like it, but I've only been here two weeks and I still don't have a job or apt. So, I guess we'll see.
I'm still not sure if I made the right choice and I guess I'll never know. What I do know is that I was living in a place where I was occasionally happy and often sad. I loved my co-workers, but my job was giving me panic attacks. I loved my roomate, but the long winters were wearing my down. Making a clean break of everything was easier for me than trying to fix what was wrong with my life in NYC.
So here I am now. In a new city, starting over almost from scratch. I'm so very lucky to have family and friends to support me. I never could have done this alone.
I'll try to put up pictures from the trip here soon. It was amazing to get to drive all the way across the country, to see so many different landscapes.
When my sisters visited me in New York, they told me about how magical it was for them to see the skyline of NYC breaking through the clouds when the plane was coming in for a landing. I'm not sure when NYC lost that magic for me, I'm not sure if it was ever as strong for me, but the last time I flew in I tried to take some pictures, mostly for my sisters, and I found myself not looking at Manhattan, but instead searching the streets of Queens, looking for familiar sites. My home, my favorite coffee shop, my library, my route I walk to the park.
I loved my time in New York, I'm so glad I went. I keep introducing myself as a New Yorker now that I'm not there. New York is on my fuzzy list of where my "home" is. And it's always gonna be there if I decide to go back.

But for now, I'm excited to be learning my way around a new city. And it already has its selling points. It's warm! And green! There are seals! I think my parents would actually like to visit here! Also, this:

That, is the cover of my new planner, which I purchased from a dollar store in Japantown. Japanese dollar stores- possibly the best thing ever?

No comments: