Saturday, January 17, 2009

I discover sledgehammers are not really my thing

Saturdays at work are so much fun.
Usually there is no one else there except for the shop guys, so we have to whole place to ourselves (now's our chance to play ganster rap!), plus our bosses usually take off because there's not much work to do, and while I miss having Tara (one of my bosses) around less work makes it less stressful. Mostly though, it's just nice that there's a difference between the days. It's nice that Saturday feels different, when you work 7 days a weekends don't really mean much.
Today was no exception. We had to be in the shop in case any of the jobs called and needed anything (they did), but we didn't have any upcoming events to get ready. So our job today was to clean out as much crap from the 5th floor as possible, and load it into the huge dumpster that had been put on the 1st floor.
At first this sounded like the worst day ever. And at first is kinda was. Carrying file cabinets and these huge, heavy columns to the dumpster was not so much fun. But then we realized that the dumpster would fill up way too quickly if we didn't do something to make more space. So out came the sledgehammer.
We use sledgehammers sometimes to take down a set. But, A) being an electrician I am not part of that, and B) these were a lot heavier. Even though they gave me the smallest one. Anyway, so we got to smash down a lot of things. It was so much fun!!! Even after we were done the rest of the day was fun. I got to climb on road cases and throw down barrels like donkey kong, and jump on long pieces of wood to try and break it in half, and climb in dumpsters pulling up heavy things, and I'm not saying I want to do this everyday, but it was a nice change of pace for me to do some heavy lifting instead of sitting in the gel corner.
I will say, I was very scared the entire time that the heavy part ofthe hammer would fly off and hit someone. It made me way to nervous. Hammering is apparently not my thing. Eventually one of the handles did break, but not completely so no one got hurt. I got a splinter though. Hurt.
My jeans, which were barely hanging in there, are probably not fit for anything other than work after today.

This was my column after the first load. I split it in two different places!


In other news, I get to see Nick on Monday!!

No comments: