Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ticks! (Dad you have been warned)

So, I've never really had a problem with ticks before, but apparently New Hampshire is tick heaven. I mentioned we went on a long walk in the woods the other day, and after coming back, even with all of us in long pants and sleeves, a couple people did have ticks on them. Understandable, we all took showers and we on the lookout for ticks that night.
But then it was like the floodgates were opened. People kept finding ticks throughout the next couple of days. And none of them were hooked onto people, so they couldn't have been on them for long. Just last night, I got up from the couch, went into the kitchen to grab my box of wheat thins, came out and there was a tick on my hand.
And then we kinda hit a breaking point. Me and Jacqi were working in our room this afternoon when all of the sudden she feels something weird on her neck. Sure enough it's a tick, so I quickly get it off her and kill it. I sit back down and start googleing "ticks" so see if they could possibly be living in the house somehow and that's how people keep getting them. And, just as I'm reading a part of an article about how one possible sign of an infestation is seeing them crawling on the walls, Jacqi sees one crawling on wall. Seriously!
Anyway, we freaked out a little. We went and talked to Carol and she immediately said she would get a bug bomb for our room. Then we went and got rubbing alcohol from the theatre in case we came across any more ticks. Then we bought some deep woods bug spray which we immediatly used for our evening walk, even though we were staying far away from woods and grass. And then we took off all our sheets and blankets and took them to the laundrymat. They're drying right now. We also now check the walls as soon as we walk into our room.
So...that's the battle between us and the ticks for now. More updates to come I guess.

No comments: